Thursday, 3 april 2025.
Prijavite se na sedmični newsletter Detektora
Newsletter
Novinari Detektora svake sedmice pišu newslettere o protekloj i sedmici koja nas očekuje. Donose detalje iz redakcije, iskrene reakcije na priče i kontekst o događajima koji oblikuju našu stvarnost.

This post is also available in: Bosnian

The third instance Chamber of the Court of BiH sentenced Alic according to the Criminal Code of BiH but the Constitutional Court of BiH revoked the verdict on July 4 due to the wrong application of the law.

Presiding judge Mirko Bozovic explained that, considering the revocation of the third instance verdict, the proceedings against Alic were returned to the phase of deciding about the appeals against the Appellate Chamber’s decision in October 2011.

Presenting his appeal, Defence attorney Senad Kreho said that he stuck to the previously presented appeals but he wanted to present documents related to mitigating circumstances.

“I present births certificates for Alic’s three children, certificates confirming that they attend school regularly as well as a certificate, confirming that his wife is registered at the Employment Bureau in Buzim,” Kreho said.

Prosecutor Olivera Djuric also said that she stuck to her previous response to the appeal.

Under the first instance verdict, Alic was acquitted of charges, but, in January 2011 the Appellate Chamber of the Court of BiH sentenced him, as former Assistant Commander of “Hamza” Battalion with the Fifth Corps of the Army of BiH, with having participated in the abuse of four captured members of the Serbian Krajina Army in August 1995.

After that the Defence filed an appeal with the third instance Chamber, which rejected the appeal and confirmed the verdict but the Constitutional Court revoked the final verdict, ordering the application of the Criminal Code of the former Yugoslavia.

Najčitanije
Saznajte više
UN Court Again Refuses Bosnian Croat Wartime Leader Early Release
The UN war crimes court in The Hague has rejected a request for early release from former Bosnian Croat political chief Jadranko Prlic, citing his “heinous” crimes and “insufficient” rehabilitation.
Bosnian Croat Ex-Fighters Charged with Wartime Prisoner Abuses
The Bosnian state prosecution charged seven former Croatian Defence Council military policemen and civilian police officers with unlawfully detaining and assaulting dozens of Bosniaks in the Zepce area in 1993 and 1994.
Bosnia Charges Ten with War Crimes Against Serb Prisoners
Ukraine Does Not Get to Penalize All Crimes against Children